Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Saturday 23 March 2013

Some new speed-painted Berbers

In my whole 'I'm not starting any new projects' denial of last year, mate Lee practically forced upon me* some El Cid Moors from Gripping Beast that he was never going to paint.

They have sat in a box for a few months, but tomorrow at the Cannon show in Retford, James, Tom, Matt and myself are putting on a Battle of Valencia game, I already have a whole load of Christian Spanish painted, what's the harm in painting up a couple of units of Berbers to use.

I used a speed painting technique of Halfords grey primer, roughed on base-coat followed by a coat of Vallejo Sepia wash and a couple of highlights.

I tried to use a very limited pallet using a main colour of Dark Sand for mist of the figures and then did some small detail in Intense Blue, Golden Brown and Black. The spear are painted Green Ochre to represent bamboo and the bows / leather work are painted Saddle Brown.

Here are some photos of the two units.













*This may be a fib, I am very weak willed :-)

6 comments:

  1. Very effective they are too

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great as always, Paul. The subtle clothing aside, I see some pretty fine details on the shields too. I hope you can post pictures of the game later. I'm sure they'll be grand. Best, Dean

    P.S. I'm hosting a Bolt Action game at my place today - Pat and some other of the local crew will be in attendance. Thanks for the introductory game you hosted - just a few weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. Good luck with the Bolt Action later.
      I'll take the camera tomorrow and hopefully get another blog entry up tomorrow night.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful figures and colours! Great stunning work!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete